Charlotte Sena Kidnapping Case Updates, New York News (News21USA): Authorities have identified a 47-year-old man accused of kidnapping 9-year-old Charlotte Sena from an upstate New York park and allegedly keeping her in the closet of a trailer where he lived next to his mother’s home.
Craig N. Ross Jr. was being held without bail Tuesday morning at the Saratoga County Correctional Facility on charges of first-degree kidnapping, according to jail officials.
Charlotte was abducted from Moreau Lake State Park in Saratoga County, New York, on Saturday night, according to New York State Police. She disappeared around dinnertime Saturday while she was riding her bike alone at the campground, New York Gov. Kathy Hochul said.
The girl’s family and other campers went to look for her and her mother found her bike around 6:45 p.m. Saturday and called 911, police said. An Amber Alert was issued for the missing boy Saturday night and an extensive search was conducted in the sprawling park involving up to 400 local, state and federal law enforcement officials.
Hochul said at a news conference Monday night that the breakthrough in the three-day search for the missing girl came early Monday morning, apparently by the suspect himself. At 4:20 a.m. m., a car pulled up to the Sena family’s home and what turned out to be a ransom note was dropped into the mailbox, Hochul said.
State police had been monitoring the house while Sena’s parents were still at the camp and discovered the note, Hochul said. They found a fingerprint that was later linked to a 1999 DWI in Saratoga, the governor said.
After what Hochul described as more investigative and detective work, officials located a double-wide home where the suspect’s mother lived and learned that Ross was staying in the trailer behind the residence.
«After some resistance, the suspect was detained,» Hochul said.
Amazon Today’s Deals
Discover exclusive discounts on top-rated products.Shop Now
Charlotte was immediately discovered in a cabinet that had been covered, the governor said. The fourth-grade boy was in «good health,» according to police.
«She knew she was being rescued. She knew she was in good hands,» Hochul said.
Hochul added: «She’s going home. That’s the story. Charlotte’s going home.»
Authorities notified her parents at 6:32 p.m. Eastern Time.
«We are delighted that she is home and we understand that the result is not what every family gets. A huge thank you to the FBI, the New York State Police, all the agencies that mobilized, to all the families, friends and volunteers.» the Sena family said in a statement.
Ross of Ballston Spa, New York, has been charged with first-degree kidnapping, an A-1 felony.
Following his arrest, Ross was questioned at the New York State Police barracks in Latham, New York, and then arraigned in Milton Municipal Court. Details of the suspect’s interrogation were not disclosed.
Additional charges are anticipated, officials said.